Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Have you ever had this experience?


You take your kids into the store and the moment you walk in, everything turns sour. A tantrum begins, but you only need one item, so you pray that you can just make it quick. You are rushing though the store, trying to keep the tantrum in the cart, and while you are grabbing that one item that you need, an old woman turns to you and makes a snide remark about your lack of parenting skills. Perspiration breaks out on your forehead as you feel yourself flush with embarassement. You want to bite back, but is it worth it? No. Is it polite? No. The next best thing is to escape. Flee, before the tears that you were already holding back make their way to the surface. You pay for the one, single, blasted item that you needed, and get the tantrum contained in the car. Thankfully, you have large sunglasses that can cover the tears that are now welling and can no longer be blinked back. The tantrum makes it all the way home. You are still warm and are so grateful that it is raining and windy because it cools your hot cheeks. You get the tantrum put away into the bedroom and sit down on the stairs crying, trying not to hate that mean old lady...

I did today.

12 comments:

Rachel said...

Oh Kinley you are better than me I would have said something! I am sorry I have had that happen once too many. And usually my kids are pretty good but on the days they are not....I swear the crazy's are out.

Dalling Family said...

I think most of us can relate! I'm so sorry though - it's not easy and you get kudos for being nice to the lady!

Jeff and Aubry said...

Blasted mean old ladies!!! You are a WONDERFUL mom and yea, tantrums stink but you handled it oh so well, my friend!! Wish I were there to take you to get a sno-cone.

Dan and Katie said...

Ewww...mean lady!!! I think I would have said something mean back. You are a better person than I am :)

Tim, Jennie, Paisley, Claire and Moose said...

I hate old people! I am so sorry. It has happened to me once and I really wanted to tell the old $%&* off. But like you said, is it worth it? NO and I like to think that some day she will get hers.
I love you and you are a great mother

Andrea :) said...

I'm so sorry that happened to you! You are such a good person to not tell that lady to mind her own business. Kudos to you! I hope your next shopping experience is tons better (and maybe kid free ;)

crystal carlson said...

I hate when people are mean! Good job for being the better person :)

Pop said...

Sorry Kinley, not everyone can be normal like us. You're the better person and she will get her's one day. Come down and I'll buy you ice cream, Pop.

Ashley said...

Ewww, yes. It's like they forget how stinkin' hard controlling a toddler can be. Old crank!

Sky said...

Aw Kinley...I could feel the hot cheeks and tears in my own eyes!!! I am so sorry that happened!! People think they can say whatever they want and have a selective memory. She either didn't have kids or never went anywhere with them. I am also impressed with your control with the tantrum. I would have lost it long before we even got home!! Your a great mom and example. forget that old lady!!!

Mike & Britt said...

I swear everyone in Miami is a mean person with plenty of parenting advise when I'm pretty sure they have no idea about kids. I have several of them follow me aisle after aisle watching me like a hawk & finally saying something. I just smile and walk away when really I feel the same way you do. Next time I'm gonna say, Thanks for making me cry you jerk! (: Gone are the peaceful shopping days. You're the best! Hope next time is better!

Giles Fam said...

I've decided that people who make rude remarks to others when their kids throw a tantrum, fit into one of two categories: (1) they've never had kids themselves or (2) they are too old to remember what having little kids is like. Don't feel bad. I'm sure every mom can relate, and you are such a great mom. Sounds like she's the one with the problem--not you. :)